Kattwings Knits

knitting that flys off the needles

Saturday, 9 January 2010

The Highs and Lows

2009 ended with a BANG for us.. Or more.. With a Bill and an extra housemate.

My best friend left her husband (second case of them separating in 2 years..Let's hope this one is permanent!!). She came to stay with us for what I THOUGHT would be only a few days but ended up a few days shy of 4 weeks!! I love her to pieces but damn I am glad to have my house back and the privacy that comes with!!

Gizzy got himself into a brawl that ended up with an abscess on his hind leg and a trip to the ONLY open vets in town. Which scored us a $300 bill (there went the Chrissie money for our BBQ area!) and while we were at it we punished him for wasting our money with getting him desexed (teach the bugger).


This school holidays I have been keeping the girls entertained with teaching them crafts (and letting them play with the crafts they already know).

So firstly over the Holidays we have sat and made jewellery that they have decided to keep some of and some they decided at the time to make for friends.


Harley's Memory Wire Bracelet


Harley's anklet (which will fit as bracelet as she gets older)

Harley's Bracelets to give to school friends.
Harley has earrings she made too to give to friends but at time of photography the child didn't put them out to take piccies of so it didn't happen! I only remember them now as I do this post and it's too dark to take picceies of them now.

Rachelle's Memory Wire Bracelet


Rachelle's Anklet which will be a bracelet as she gets older


Rachelle's bracelets (blue one is hers, pink one is a school friends)


Rachelle's earrings. clip on, put in sleepers (which are hers) and real ones


The next craft the girls and I did was learning to sew with needle and thread. Harley had done a bit of this at school but not this sort of level.

So we made Scrunchies, in which I cut the fabric, folded it the right way and started the sewing that they did. Then they turned it in the right way, I sewed one end of the elastic to the opening, they pulled the elastic all the way through then I secured it all and sewed it closed.

Rachelle's Scrunchie



Harley's Scrunchie


We also made wheat bags (which I am yet to buy wheat so we can finish them up). The top green one is Rachelle's the bottom pink one Harley's.


This years big 12 in 12 for 2010 for me is 12 pair of socks in 12 months. So 1/1/10 I was a good girl and cast on the first pair of socks. I have gotten them both up to the heel today and hoping by end of weekend to be up to the gusset (if not started it).


Specs:
Pattern: No Purl Monkeys (
RAV Link)
Yarn: Crystal Palace Yarns Panda Cotton Print
Needle Size: 2.5mm

It's damn hot here at the moment and even though I really want to be busy designing things it's far too hot to be doing anything more then socks really.

Went swimming earlier this week and got so sunburnt I have small blisters on my shoulders and my face is starting to peel!! I won't be forgetting sunscreen next time now will I!! Yikes!

Ok everyone I hope you have a lovely weekend!! And now that my house is my own again I wont take as long to do more posts to you all keeping you updated!!

Happy knitting!!

Katt

Labels: , , , ,

8 Comments:

  • At 10:32 pm, Blogger Bugsy said…

    Poor Gizzy. Maybe now he will think before venturing into any testosterone filled fights with any other kitties.

    totally adore the jewellary and jealous as anything - the girls have done so well with them - Well done!

    Socks in that pattern and that color yarn - they Rock! beautiful beautiful beautiful. of course that is all because of your talent - give me the same pattern and same yarn and it would look like a trainwreck! Well done.

     
  • At 10:49 pm, Blogger sue said…

    The girls have done well with their jewellery havent they. I love the no purl monkeys too, they look great! I hope the sunburn is healing nicely for you and there isnt too much peeling where the blisters are. I am going to start my 2nd pair of socks this weekend, maybe early in the morning before it gets too hot!

     
  • At 10:51 pm, Blogger Kylie said…

    Poor Gizzy I hope he is feeling better. And I'm glad your house guest has gone.

    It looks like the girls have had a wonderful time. I work for a wholesale bead & craft company and we receive a lot odd samples if you are interested you just need to send me postal address and I'd be happy to send some to you & the girls. I hope this year is a better one for you.

     
  • At 12:06 am, Blogger Suburban Hooker said…

    It was very nice of you all to lend a hand to your friend in need. It's not everyone who would have accepted someone for that long and during a holiday. That was very kind of you but I'm happy to read that you have your privacy back.

    Gizmo will mend, serves him right. Punctures abcess pretty quickly. My dumb kitty got bit in the face once....gross and stinky too!

    Love the girls projects. They are as talented as their mother!! The bracelets and earrings are the best!!

    The socks are looking great!! I admire your 12 in 12 determination!! Wish I could knit. I think knit socks are much nicer than crochet socks.

    If your skin has blistered it is best to use only water based products on it. Try aloe gel. We have it here with lidocaine (a topical anesthetic) in it to numb the sting a bit. White vinegar helps also. I keep it both of them in the fridge!!

    Thanks for the great update. Happy 2010!!

     
  • At 9:25 am, Blogger Isis said…

    nice socks. but are you crazy - 12 sock in 12 months?! good on you! do you sell the socks, cos i would love to buy some handmade socks

    i'll be at the homespun market on saturday jan 23 - hope you can mmake it :)

     
  • At 1:54 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Wow ! I'm so impressed with all the jewellery making, but even more so with the sewing. Great work !!! Stra xx

     
  • At 3:40 pm, Blogger Leeanne said…

    Bravo on the crafting, I know it takes lots of patience to teach your own children. Their items are cute.

     
  • At 6:53 am, Blogger Karen said…

    Ahhh, after leaving my comment about wanted to see a picture of your socks, I went to your Rav notebook to peek. And saw these socks and realized you had just posted them recently. Oh my, I'm losing my mind!!! They are pretty though. :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Days Until Rachelle's 7th Birthday
Lilypie Baby PicLilypie Baby Ticker


Days Until Harley's 10th Birthday
Lilypie Baby PicLilypie Baby Ticker


Fiber Arts Bloggers
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random |