Kattwings Knits

knitting that flys off the needles

Monday, 2 November 2009

Home Grown

Have been busy of late with the garden. Wanting lovely home grown Fruit and Veg by summer time.

Having always grown up with my parents having veggie patch for as long as I can remember it's time I get my A into G and get one going that wont drop dead!

I don't have the greenest thumb (I think flower gardens are pretty but hate doing them, probably due to a whole life of suffering from Hay Fever).

But I am NOT allergic to fruit and veg!!

Above is my great use of the old Recycle tubs we had here (now wheelie bins). Thought it would make a very pretty and very useful Strawberry patch!!


And above are our Apricot, Peach and Red Apple trees (seen through our DEAD thanks to landlords sheep Green Apple tree).

And these are the Greengage trees (2 of them, 1 far better then other obviously) seen past another slowly getting healthy Peach tree and another dead something tree that has been dead since we moved in).

This is our very large Walnut tree. From what I have been told our house was built in the 1940s and the tree was there then. This is taken pretty much from where the cement joins the grass. And YES that's ALL our backyard all the way up. That dividing fence our Landlord put up to run his sheep in.

This is our new little Veggie Patch. Put in mid/late last week. You can see my 7 Tomato plants (6 different kinds), my Cherry sized red capsicum, my butternut pumpkin, my snow peas, my butter beans and my peas.

This is our Lemon Tree (or more..the sapling that came off the Lemon tree that was already hacked off before we moved in). The Lemon Tree and I have had a love/hate relationship. For first 6 years of us living where we are it rarely produced anything. So I got permission from the landlady to chop the bugger down. I came home and told it of it's grim future. Within months it turned on the charm and now we get a good little supply of lemons (we don't need many!!). And in the background Sir Gizzy (hasn't he grown??? Big 1yo now!!).

This week I am planning on digging up the last little side bit of my veggie patch (where the rake is) and planting my Corn. I also have plans on planting some green beans and a normal sized yellow capsicum. Also in the plans is planting some Raspberries too. I also have plans for the little triangle patch where Gizzy is in the Lemon tree piccie to plan some herbs. And I am considering where I can plant my Potatoes.

Not much knitting is getting done due to gardening and this years Major Spring clean out. But I have done a little here and there.

Next post I will pop up all the 12 in 12 kids jumpers that are not only FINISHED but have a few friends to go with them!!

I have also been cruising through my Chrissie knitting. From 6 things I have 2 partially started already things to go. I also have about 5-6 kids hats for Harley's Party bags for her birthday and some extra little "gifties" to finish up as well.

Happy knitting all and have a great week!

Katt

Labels: , , , , , ,

5 Comments:

  • At 2:35 am, Blogger Suburban Hooker said…

    I'm completely envious of your lemon tree!!! I have an apple tree but I don't use any insecticide so getting enough for a decent non wormy or buggie pie is quite a task!!! Wish I had a lemon tree instead!! Good luck with your garden!

     
  • At 10:42 am, Anonymous 2paw said…

    Ohh, lemon tree!!! That's a fabulous idea with the monte carlo recycle bin, I have tow of them....I have a plan now!!

     
  • At 10:42 am, Anonymous 2paw said…

    Actually I have TWO of them!!! Can't type.

     
  • At 11:22 am, Blogger sue said…

    Wow Katt you have a great vegie garden in progress. I love how you used your recycle bin too for the strawberries. The walnut tree reminded me of one my grandparents used to have when they lived in Bright. I remember picking them off the tree and having fun cracking them open. Our lemon tree is very tiny and produces lots of lemons but I never end up using them. My neighbour gets heaps on hers though and gives them away. I think I may have to cook up a lemon meringue pie soon and use some up. Hope things are looking up for you both too, and I cant wait to see the 12 jumpers.

     
  • At 7:31 pm, Blogger Kate_knits_a_bit said…

    It really is the season, isn't it? I bought seeds last weekend, and got stuck into weeding some of the front garden and planting out flower seedlings. We are conisdering putting some decorative vege in the front yard because it gets more sun than the (pre-existing) vege patch - but I am deeply jealous of your range of fruit trees!!
    Oh, yeah, and the feather and fan berets are v. cute, and I'm just about to check out your rasta hat pattern on Rav - so cool!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Days Until Rachelle's 7th Birthday
Lilypie Baby PicLilypie Baby Ticker


Days Until Harley's 10th Birthday
Lilypie Baby PicLilypie Baby Ticker


Fiber Arts Bloggers
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random |