Kattwings Knits

knitting that flys off the needles

Saturday, 21 February 2009

1 of 12 done

Valentines Day this year I wanted to surprise Adam with something special, something different, something I had never given him before and would would have meaning.

So I knitted him a jumper. Last time I knitted an adult size jumper I was about 14 years old. So I started 1st January (with fear of secret knitting and not knowing how long it would take me that I might not get it done in time). I chose the Hackey Sack Hoodie from Son of Stitch'n'Bitch. I did it in Patons Soft Haze in really nice blue. The yarn alone drove me freaken insane!!! 1 ball out of 13 1/2 didnt have knots..the rest had at least 1..some had up to 3!! I wrote to Patons and complained. They sent me 20 balls of Zhivago in a lovely variegated blues as well as a Zhivago book for nothing to say sorry.

It took me exactly a month. I finished 1st Feb. And it fits Adam..And he loves it..He also told me off for knitting something for him instead of for myself. (am yet to get piccies of it on him to sho you all..SOLLY!!)

I have finished 1 of the 12 in 12 childrens jumpers. I am very proud of it and so plan on making more.

I decided to try my hand at a childs version of the Hackey Sack Hoodie (I am that smitten with the pattern). So where the pattern calls for 10ply wool on 5mm needles I downsized it to 8ply wool using 4.5mm needles.. I made the smallest size (using exact stitch counts and increasing exactly as the pattern calls for) thinking I might get something that would fit either my 6 1/2 or 9 yo daughers. I was shocked when the finished producted fit my best friends just turned 3yo son!!!! looking at it its a size 3-4yo jumper. I had to choose the length of body and sleeves when knitting it. And its perfect for him! And he looks gorgeous! I so plan on making many many more of these jumpers for kids trying different sizes, and weights of yarn.

Below are some piccies of Cridda in his Hackey hoodie.


I made the sleeves a little longer to have the cuffs turned up this year and hoping next year it will fit him still too with the cuffs turned down.

Will try and get Adam into his Valentines jumper real soon to show you all. It was hard to keep it all from you but he reads my blog and I didnt want him finding out before hand!! Have to admit the damn heatwave that hit Australia for a few weeks was a killer and I wasnt sure I would get it done (12ply big male jumper knitting in 38C heat???). Which is why we ended up at Adams work for 2 days in aircon for me to get some serious knitting on it done (he was working downstairs and was none the wiser). He claims he had no idea about me knitting this jumper. lol sly bugger I am!!

Okies folkies! Thats all for me today. Will try and get more knitting done and more posting. I have done stuff all knitting since I finished 1 out of 12 of my kids jumpers.

Happy knitting!!

Katt

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

  • At 5:13 pm, Blogger sue said…

    The hoodie is so cute on him and what a wonderful unusual name too. I cant wait to see your beau's jumper as it sounds marvellous. Glad that Patons reimbursed you with something for all those knots too.

     
  • At 6:56 pm, Blogger Katt said…

    hey Sue :)

    his real name is Christopher but everyone calls him Cridda.

     
  • At 10:23 pm, Anonymous 2paw said…

    I didn't realise you had made the blue jumper the same as Adam's. It was a bit too small for the girls!!! But it fits him really well.

     
  • At 11:18 pm, Blogger Nathalie said…

    Oh, great effort Katt - I once tried ot knit a whole jumper for Tony in secret and had to give it to him with the needles still in it! He loved it all the same, and it was a whole lot easier when I could knit at all hours!

     
  • At 10:46 am, Blogger Bugsy said…

    This jumper is just lovely! Well done! 1 done, 11 to go! get knitting woman

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Days Until Rachelle's 7th Birthday
Lilypie Baby PicLilypie Baby Ticker


Days Until Harley's 10th Birthday
Lilypie Baby PicLilypie Baby Ticker


Fiber Arts Bloggers
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random |