Kattwings Knits

knitting that flys off the needles

Thursday, 25 October 2007

With Love

I wanted to do this post for ages. Plans never fully go as you want do they?

Those who know me well know my opinion on knitting large boring repetitive knitting.

I only ever planned on knitting 2 baby blankets in my life, one for each of my girls to use on their babies when (and if) they have them. But sometime life throws special moments at you.

A special internet friend of mine had many ups and downs (mostly downs) when it came to having a baby. After three losses of beautiful angel babies she was pregnant a fourth time. We all held our breath waiting. When she made it to second trimester we were all over joyed. And I knew this wonderful achievement called for something special.

I hunted through my stash and online for the perfect pattern. And came up withe one of the Yarn Harlots (I cant find the link but if you go far enough back you will find it, she never included a link on her sidebar). And so I cast on something that I thought I had many more years before I had to work on. And...I enjoyed EVERY moment of it. I enjoyed watching every panel of pattern grow, enjoyed feeling how lovely and soft it was, enjoyed knowing that I was making it for a very special loved little baby.

My great plan was to have the blanket finished by the time the baby was born, express post it up to the father to take in before the baby came home from hospital. All best plans come with bumps in the road, I am just VERY glad the bump was at my end of the road no Bugsys (though, she had a little bump of her own with him being early)...

I was cut down with the flu when Bugsy went into labour. Blanket had been ready for months just waiting. Smarter me would have had it packed in express bag and addressed ready to go. Not so smart me..didnt. And there was no way in hell I was going to post ANYTHING while having a house full of the flu to anyone who just had a baby (or generally anyone)..I didnt want to be responsible for that.

So weeks went by as I tried to recover enough to send it, then I did a few more things to send it all together..But finally the parcel was on its way to its loving home. And she loves it all, which I am very glad of.


I dont have any plans on doing anymore baby blankets until I have to make one each for my girls, but you never know what life throws at you. I loved this pattern and knitting it, but was that because I really enjoyed it or because I knew as it grew a very loved and very wanted baby grew too?

I hope Bugsy doesnt mind me showing you all a piccie of Alex in his little personally designed just for him colourway clothes to you all. He is the cutest baby I have seen in a long time.


Knitting has been done, finished some, ripped some. But that is another post.

Katt

Labels: , ,

8 Comments:

  • At 10:40 am, Blogger Bugsy said…

    ohhhh hun - you sure know how to make a girl cry! Thank you so much - Alex is very spoilt and I love him in his knitted gear. Everyone at mother's group was most impressed yesterday with his little pants. I love it all, and Alex will treasure everything too when he gets older! hehe boys! Thank you so much again - you are very special to me too!

     
  • At 10:45 am, Blogger sue said…

    What an absolutely gorgeous baby. I love the little handknits that you made him too, they are just so adorable on him. The blanket is really beautiful and I would have cried too upon receiving such beautiful handmade gifts.

     
  • At 11:00 am, Anonymous 2paw said…

    Katt the blanket is just beautiful!!! The pattern looks so nice and I agree about not sending germs to a new baby!! The Baby colourway is striking, but I like it because it has lots of green!!!!

     
  • At 11:09 am, Blogger Penni said…

    What a beautiful story! A beautiful baby and beautiful knitting as usual too.

    It's good to se you posting again too.

     
  • At 2:59 pm, Blogger Dandy said…

    Kate, your the sweetest person ever... what a sweet story, and the blanket and the baby are gorgeous!!!

     
  • At 10:59 pm, Blogger Karen said…

    What a stunning blanket. And a gorgeous baby. Thanks you for such a beautiful story with the happiest of endings. You are such a big heart and are a wonderful friend.

     
  • At 12:26 pm, Blogger Sue H said…

    What a beautiful gift to give to a new mum and her much longed for and loved baby, especially as I am sure Bugsy would have been aware of your usual distaste for such knitting projects.
    Loving those goregeous pants too, and yes, Alex is a very bonny bub.

     
  • At 2:45 pm, Blogger Kate_knits_a_bit said…

    What a gorgeous blankie! And little Alex looks very spiffy in his hat'n'daks :>
    Nice to see you're getting your mojo back =)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Days Until Rachelle's 7th Birthday
Lilypie Baby PicLilypie Baby Ticker


Days Until Harley's 10th Birthday
Lilypie Baby PicLilypie Baby Ticker


Fiber Arts Bloggers
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random |