Kattwings Knits

knitting that flys off the needles

Sunday, 18 September 2005

Walking in a Felting Wonderland

Ok here are some of those promised piccies.

Down Scottsdale where the evil MIL lives she works in a place called "the Giant Pinecone" that has something to do with forestry or something...I honestly dont know or really care.

On the day we went home she had to leave us to go into work (such a shame) and told us to stop in there on the way out of town. So we did. And I have to say I was surprised to find anything in there worth seeing. Below are some piccies of things that were for sale in there.


I thought this hat was gorgeous (and no its not felted). The price tag on it was $40..It has glittery stuff in there too. And ostrich novilty yarn near the bottom. I really liked it. I THINK it was crocheted.


This I found absolutley gorgeous! I am worried that so did the evil MIL though. Its felted..But a different way then what I do (it is NOT done in the knitting and felting afterwards way)...I know Suzi went on a camp thing last year and learnt how to do this sort of felting. Maybe she will comment and shed light on what sort it is. I think from memory the black dress under it might have been done the same way too...I was blown away to see that the white shawl was $190!!!!!!


Now I dont find this hat appealing but I love the colours. Once again this is that different sort of felting. I would love to learn how to do this.


I think this is lovely. It was up on the wall so I didnt get to feel how warm it would be in winter..Probably very warm...I just love the blue and white together.


Another felted top..I should have felt some of these to see if they would have felt nice or nasty! lol


Close up (and uuuum..sideways still..sorry) of the above top so you can see its not felted in the knit first way.

4 Comments:

  • At 6:55 pm, Blogger Bugsy said…

    Great photos Katt. That felting is very different to anything I have seen before. Very interesting.

     
  • At 8:47 am, Blogger Sharon said…

    I have seen that felting done on a TV show once, if I remember rightly it is done with fleece and then worked somehow with wet towels until you get the end result. Suzi may be able to shed some more light on this process???

    Oh by the way I have tagged you over at my blog if you want to go have a squiz??

     
  • At 1:42 pm, Blogger Leeanne said…

    Sharon, I think I saw that too. I've also seen a small peice of yarn attached to a felted bag by using a felting tecnique (prodding it alot with a sewing needle). The yarn didnt need to be sewn on because the felting tecnique attached it to the bag.
    Sorry if I have confussed you.

    Katt, can you show a close up of the white shall? I think it is lovely.

     
  • At 1:14 pm, Blogger Lynne said…

    Someone has had fun making those felted things!
    Katt, Lynne's going to get technical. Hope that's ok.
    When you felt a bit of knitting, that is technically what's called "fulling."
    Felting technically is bashing around unknitted and/or unspun wool until it sticks to itself. (This can be a lot easier than you might think as Lynne has found dyeing up fleece on occasion) You can felt unspun wool by getting it wet and full of detergent, then rubbing it lots and rolling it up in bubble wrap and rolling it back and forth. Hot and cold water helps it felt more.
    The ?white? felted thing with the strips of felted stuff and the gauzy material is a process called nuno felting I think. The gauzy material is probably silk, which helps make it pricey.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Days Until Rachelle's 7th Birthday
Lilypie Baby PicLilypie Baby Ticker


Days Until Harley's 10th Birthday
Lilypie Baby PicLilypie Baby Ticker


Fiber Arts Bloggers
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random |