Kattwings Knits

knitting that flys off the needles

Friday, 27 May 2005

A sad tale of loss and woe

Ok now I have your attention I have a sad tale to tell. All ye knitters might weep. Some of you might remember when I was on a yarn diet I made these lovely little mittens that my darling eldest took a shining to and wouldnt let me sell. She kept them and their matching hat for this cold weather we are now having.
Well. Yesterday was one of these cold days she thought she would wear the set to school. And cute she did look as she went off with her granny and gramps (DH mum and step dad) who came to take her to school.
That would be the last time I would see those charming little mittens.

Adam picked Harley up from school. She looked so forlorn when she saw me. She was sad...on the verge of tears. I asked why. She said she has lost the mittens I had made her. She thought I would smack her. She had FLUSHED THEM DOWN THE TOILET!!!!!! I was..surprised..How had she managed that!?!? So I asked her.
She had tucked them under her arm at recess that morning at school while she was going to the toilet. As she reached over to flush the toilet. The mittens fell in and then FLUSH they were gone! She went back into her classroom crying. Feeling so sad that I would be angry with her.

They are gone..forever. Never to come back. So lets now have a moment silence in the memory of those that have been lost...(shhhh stop laughing).

Katt
P.S. I will admit I was far from angry with her..More..I was amused! I tried not to laugh. The poor thing looked so upset. She had spent the whole day at school thinking I would be angry with her. She wants another pair made in the same yarn. Though the problem is I have a lot but I dont know if there is enough for a jumper as well as another pair of mittens.

7 Comments:

  • At 5:47 pm, Blogger Suzi said…

    Oh yeah, I'm laughing on the inside.

    Suzi.

     
  • At 6:14 pm, Blogger Cathy said…

    RIP!!!! A minutes silence please for those that are dearly departed.

    *Snicker, snicker*

    You may have to knit another pair of mittens in a contrasting colour with maybe a stripe of the nice purple through them.

    Cathy

     
  • At 9:01 pm, Anonymous Sarah said…

    Aw, that's so sad. Well, it's funny, too, but still sad. Poor kid, spending all day worried.

     
  • At 10:54 pm, Anonymous leah said…

    Oh yeah, I was one of those kids. I'd lose something, or break something and then make myself sick with worry... I finally got to the point where I just started calling my Mom as soon as I lost/broke it to tell her. I felt better having told her and she got to get over (at least a little) being angry with me... if she was angry at all. As it turns out, she was often more amused at my state of worriedness. You have a good kid :) At least she didn't lie about it and make up a story.

     
  • At 11:37 pm, Blogger Dandy said…

    Oh thats sad and oh so funny at the same time....

     
  • At 5:41 pm, Blogger Bugsy said…

    Oh the poor darling. I feel so sorry for her. It was an accident, pure and simple. Of course, you wouldn't really be angry with her. Just amused. I have to tell you, I told hubby and he was nearly on the floor laughing. We had this image of her standing before you, you laughing and her saying "It's not funny Mummy!" with her sad\angry face. LOL I think we should all make her some new ones.

    p.s. I loved the idea of making them in another color with a "memorial" band of the purple.

     
  • At 6:36 pm, Blogger 2paw said…

    This is so sweet!!!It is always the children who have parents who will understand who are the most worried !! The children with the 'couldn't care less ' parents couldn't care less.
    Vale Mittens : maybe the new ones need an I-cord to connect them!!!
    This is from someone who nearly lost her mobile phone down the toilet!! It was in my back pocket!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Days Until Rachelle's 7th Birthday
Lilypie Baby PicLilypie Baby Ticker


Days Until Harley's 10th Birthday
Lilypie Baby PicLilypie Baby Ticker


Fiber Arts Bloggers
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random |